- Cooking Time: 20-35
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryMy mom gifted me a bottle of roasted garlic olive oil. I wanted to try it using one of my favorite Mark Bittman recipes which usually calls for a citrus or plain olive oil. The result was surprisingly good!
- 1/4 cup garlic-infused olive oil
- 1/2 sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 t. Baking powder
- 1/8 t. Salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. Fresh lemon zest.
- Julienne cut sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. Butter
- Grease a 7" x11" or similar volume pan.
- Beat the oil and 3/8ths of the sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg yokes. Beat until thick (5 min)
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Mix into wet ingredients until smooth. Add lemon juice and zest. Mix on low until just blended.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they foam. Continue to beat, sprinkling in the remaining 1/8 cup sugar until whites stiffen and hold soft peaks.
- Fold the whites into the batter with a spatula as thoroughly and gently as possible.
- Turn batter into prepared pan. Garnish top with sun-dried tomatoes then bake for 20-35 min in a 350 degree oven.
- Meanwhile, simmer balsamic vinegar on the stovetop until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- Let both cake and sauce cool to room temperature before serving.