- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 (7 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and thinly sliced
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced (if using dried, soak, discard the stems and slice)
- 1 pound kale, washed and cut into large pieces
- 1 teaspoon mirin (or seasoned brown rice vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or high quality soy sauce)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ingredient Options: Combine several types of greens. Add 1 tablespoon of brown rice syrup along with the tamari. Use chard and add a cup of drained, chopped tomatoes after adding the greens. Top greens with chopped, roasted walnuts.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until onions are translucent. Be careful not to brown garlic or it will give a bitter taste.
- Add water chestnuts and shiitake mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add kale and sauté for 1 minute. Add mirin, tamari and pepper and continue cooking until kale is just tender.
NotesKale is a chefs' favorite for simple leafy green sautées. The dark bluish-green, finely curled leaves are a visual treat while the mild, slightly peppery flavor blends with garlic, water chestnuts and mushrooms for a delightful dish. Also try chard, beet greens, mustard greens, spinach or a mixture of several varieties.
Per Serving (5 oz-wt.): 115 calories (40 from fat), 4g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 4g protein, 16g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
The Social CookbookSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More