- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons diced tasso ham
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce ("Crystal" brand is really good!)
- 2 eggs
- Mix the rice and dry ingredients together thoroughly. Sprinkle on hot sauce. Add eggs and when thoroughly mixed, drop by spoonfuls into hot deep fat (360 degrees) and fry until brown. Drain on paper. Serve hot with remoulade sauce for dipping.
- *Maintain mixture below 70 degees or separation may occur when dropped in hot oil.
- A good method for forming the calas is to use two spoons and try to create a "triangle" out of the mixture--they will be more evenly sized.
NotesThese calas are scrumptious--the recipe is from awesome New Orleans chef Poppy Tooker, who is singlehandedly trying to "bring back the calas". They're so good!
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wife
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing RecipesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More