- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons diced tasso ham
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce ("Crystal" brand is really good!)
- 2 eggs
- Mix the rice and dry ingredients together thoroughly. Sprinkle on hot sauce. Add eggs and when thoroughly mixed, drop by spoonfuls into hot deep fat (360 degrees) and fry until brown. Drain on paper. Serve hot with remoulade sauce for dipping.
- *Maintain mixture below 70 degees or separation may occur when dropped in hot oil.
- A good method for forming the calas is to use two spoons and try to create a "triangle" out of the mixture--they will be more evenly sized.
NotesThese calas are scrumptious--the recipe is from awesome New Orleans chef Poppy Tooker, who is singlehandedly trying to "bring back the calas". They're so good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More