- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20
- For the Ginger Pineapple Dressing:
- 1 can (about 20 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the salad:
- 1 pound savoy cabbage, quartered, damaged leaves and core removed
- 3/4 pound red cabbage, quartered, damaged leaves and core removed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 cups (about 4 ounces) shredded carrots
- 2 ounces (7 to 8 slices) candied ginger, finely diced, divided
- To make the dressing, purée all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Slice the savoy and the red cabbage as thinly as possible. Cut the water chestnut slices in thin strips.
- Toss the savory red cabbage, water chestnuts, carrots, half the candied ginger and the dressing in a serving bowl. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before serving. Serve garnished with the remaining candied ginger.
- Nutritional Information for Dressing Per Serving: Calories 35; Total fat 0g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 160mg; Total Carbohydrate 9g; Fiber 0g; Protein 0g; Vitamin A 0%DV*; Vitamin C 8%DV; Folate 1%DV; Calcium 0%DV; Iron 2%DV; Potassium 2%DV
- Nutrition Information for Dressed Salad Per Serving: Calories 80; Total fat 0g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 190mg; Total carbohydrate 20g; Fiber 3g; Protein 2g; Vitamin A 50%DV; Vitamin C 60%DV;Folate 10%DV; Calcium 4%DV; Iron 6%DV; Potassium 8%DV
- *Daily Value
NotesA can of crushed pineapple is part of a salad dressing waiting to happen. Naturally sweet, tart and full of juice, all it needs is an addition of spice and a dash of vinegar to become a fat-free vinaigrette with more vitamin C than bottled vinaigrette.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More