- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 small can (15 oz.) of Libby's pureed pumpkin
- 1 large golden delicious apple, diced small
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbls. butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 package whole wheat pita bread
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice pita into triangles and lay on a cookie sheet.
- Brush very lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with a little coarse salt.
- Place pita under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, turn and broil another 2-3 minutes.
- Pita burns quickly; you just want them to be crisp and lightly browned.
- If not serving immediately, cool and store in an air tight container.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter.
- Over medium-high heat, cook onion until translucent.
- Add apple and cook until just softened.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pumpkin and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring to avoid burning.
- Add half of the chicken broth and cook 2-3 minutes.
- If dip is very thick, you may need to add the rest of the broth and cook another few minutes. Serve warm with pita crisps.
- * If you'd like to try this recipe as a soup, double all ingredients, but increase chicken broth to 4 cups.
- Cook as instructed above, then add 1/2 cup cream (or try fat free half and half!).
- For a smooth soup, use your immersion blender, or use a regular blender, a small batch at a time.
- Serve hot, and top with crushed pecans.
NotesThis super simple recipe began as a soup, but by leaving out a few ingredients, the thicker, chunkier version makes an awesome appetizer. Serve it with pita crisps for a perfect (and healthy!) snack or a quick holiday appetizer. Or if you want to go really crazy, do it up in a painter's palette like the photo shown! Check out my blog for step by step instructions: [url]http://jojobean26.blogspot.com/2009/08/painting-never-tasted-so-good.html[/url]
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Taste of CenturyLink
GAES PTO RecipesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More