- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 600g (4 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 100g chilled, unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra to serve
- 160g ham, finely chopped
- 5-6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper (capsicum), deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 brown onion, finely diced
- 240g (2 cups) finely grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 375mL (1.5 cups) milk, plus extra to brush
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, and line a baking tray with baking paper and give it a light dusting of flour.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cayenne pepper, then rub in the butter with your fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs (if you have a food processor, just pulse it in there till it resembles coarse breadcrumbs).
- Stir in the ham, spring onion, capsicum, onion and 1 1/2 cups of cheese (leave the remaining 1/2 cup) and season well with salt and pepper. Add the milk, cutting into the dry mixture with a knife till just combined - do not overmix.
- Liberally dust your hands with flour, then scoop out the EXTREMELY STICKY batter onto the baking tray and try and form it into a rough round - about 25cm in diameter. Cut into 8 wedges and separate them slightly as they will expand, then brush their surfaces with milk and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 mins, or till they have puffed beautifully and are golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serve warm, spread with a little extra butter.
- Read more about this recipe on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
NotesAfter my sister told me that savoury scones are "ewww", I just had to try and find a recipe that would change her mind! This not only changed her mind, but completely won her little heart, as I'm sure it will yours!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Austin Personal Training RecipesSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More