SAYUR LODEH - VEGETABLES AND SHRIMP - INDONESIA
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced finely
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon coreander
- 1 teaspoon laos*
- 1/2 pound (225 g) shelled fresh or frozen shrimp, cut into thin slices
- 1 red chilli, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 pound (225 g) cabbage, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 pound (225 g)baby bok choi, sliced
- 1/2 pound (225 g) cauliflower, parted into florets
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 pound (225 g) string beans, removing strings and cut into 3 parts each
- 1 egg plant, cubed
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
Heat oil in pan and sauté onion lightly. Add garlic, coreander and laos. Fry for 1 minute.
Add shrimp and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add chilli, cabbage, baby bok choi, cauliflower, carrots, string beans, eggplant and salt. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
Then add coconut milk and bay leaves and cook uncovered, stirring almost continuously, until vegetables are tender. Serve