SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH OYSTER MUSHROOMS
- Servings: 4-6
- 1/2 medium onion or 1 small onion, sliced thinly into rings
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound oyster mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 to 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Peel potatoes. Slice thinly (about 1/8-inch thick) and place in a bowl with cold water so they do not turn brown.
In a skillet, cook onion in butter until tender. Add oyster mushrooms and sauté lightly, about 2 minutes—don’t overcook. Stir in flour, salt, and freshly ground pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
Drain potatoes. Place half the slices in a greased 1-quart glass casserole dish. Cover with half of the sauce. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Layer the rest of the potatoes on top and pour the rest of the sauce over the potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake, covered, at 350ºF for 35 minutes. Remove the cover, and bake an additional 30 minutes until potatoes are tender and slightly browned. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Serves: 4 to 6