- Cooking Time: 15 - 20
- Preparation Time:
- 115g white raisins/sultanas
- 1 cup black tea, cold
- 1 tbsp dark rum
- 270g plain white flour
- 90g strong plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 85g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon (or 1 tsp lemon juice)
- 2 small eggs, lightly beaten
- 100mL milk
- 1-2 tbsp double cream
- Cream and jam, to serve
- The day before, mix together the tea and rum and soak the white raisins/sultanas overnight.
- Drain the raisins, then set them aside on a paper towel to soak up any external moisture. Sift together the flours and baking powder together three times, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest till thick and creamy, then slowly add the egg while beating till well incorporated. Then slowly add the milk while beating, and stir the mixture till it is smooth and lump-free (don’t worry if it appears curdled, mine did and my scones still turned out beautifully!)
- Add the sifted flour mix in stages, then knead lightly till it is smooth and elastic in texture. Mix in the soaked and dried raisins, then shape the dough into a ball, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight*.
- The next day, roll out the scone dough onto a lightly floured surface till approximately 2cm thick**. Preheat the oven to 210 degrees C.
- Using a 5-6cm round cutter, stamp out circles and place them about 5cm apart on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Lightly beat the cream together with a pinch of salt and sugar, then use this to glaze the tops of each scone. Bake them in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or till well risen and golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and set them onto a wire rack to cool a bit till just warm to the touch. Now, slice one in half, fill with your favourite jam and a big spoonful of freshly whipped cream and sit down and enjoy!
NotesRead more about this recipe on my food blog - Kitchen Wench
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
VivaVeganGal's Family FavoritesSee More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More