- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 10 dozens
- Preparation Time: 35 to 45 minutes
BackstoryOur family loves any kind of fried cookie, and this one is from my Aunt Evelyn.
- 12 eggs room temp. (beaten)
- 1 lb. sugar
- 1/2 lb. oleo (melted)
- 1 T. baking powder
- rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups flour (more if needed)
- Oil for frying
- Mix eggs, sugar, cooled oleo, rind and vanilla in a bowl.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Make a well with the flour on a board or granite counter.
- Pour liquids in center of well.
- Working the flour into the liquids from the center.
- Knead the dough until it is a soft consistency. You may need to add more flour to the board as you work it.
- Cut a piece of the dough and roll it out to about 1/8 inch.
- You can take two strips, pinch them together at one end and braid over each strip and then pinch together in a circle.
- Another option is to wrap a strip around metal cones. Keep the strips touching each other as you wrap from bottom to top.
- Fry in a large skillet with about 3 inches of vegetable oil. Make sure oil is hot before you drop in the dough.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. Drain cookies on that.
- If you are using the cones, pull them out as soon as they are cool for you to touch.
- When the cookies are cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- If you made cones, fill them with an instant vanilla pudding right before you are ready to server or they will get soggy. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.