- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 10 dozens
- Preparation Time: 35 to 45 minutes
- 12 eggs room temp. (beaten)
- 1 lb. sugar
- 1/2 lb. oleo (melted)
- 1 T. baking powder
- rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 cups flour (more if needed)
- Oil for frying
- Mix eggs, sugar, cooled oleo, rind and vanilla in a bowl.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Make a well with the flour on a board or granite counter.
- Pour liquids in center of well.
- Working the flour into the liquids from the center.
- Knead the dough until it is a soft consistency. You may need to add more flour to the board as you work it.
- Cut a piece of the dough and roll it out to about 1/8 inch.
- You can take two strips, pinch them together at one end and braid over each strip and then pinch together in a circle.
- Another option is to wrap a strip around metal cones. Keep the strips touching each other as you wrap from bottom to top.
- Fry in a large skillet with about 3 inches of vegetable oil. Make sure oil is hot before you drop in the dough.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. Drain cookies on that.
- If you are using the cones, pull them out as soon as they are cool for you to touch.
- When the cookies are cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- If you made cones, fill them with an instant vanilla pudding right before you are ready to server or they will get soggy. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
NotesOur family loves any kind of fried cookie, and this one is from my Aunt Evelyn.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More