- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups onions (coarsely chopped)
- 3-5 tablespoons garlic (I use 5)
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 cup jalapenos (chopped)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder (can use mild, med.= or hot)
- 1/4 cup chili powder , this is optional and added during simmering (can use mild, med. or hot) (optional)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 cup water
- to taste onions
- to taste sharp cheddar cheese
- to taste sour cream
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan.
- Add onions, green pepper, jalapeños and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef to the pot and cook until meat is evenly browned.
- Add the cumin, oregano, 1/4 cup chili powder, 2 tablespoons chili powder, ground cayenne, salt and mix well.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beer and water.
- Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer covered.
- After 1 hour of simmering taste and add more chili powder if you want.
- Simmer for 1 hour more.
- Serve topped with chopped onions, cheddar cheese and sour cream if you like.
- Serve with corn bread.
NotesThis is my version of chili. Scott was my husband from OH and after being together so many years he only wanted this to be hot! I hope you like it. This can be made as mild or hot as you like depending on the chili powder you use. I use a lot of cumin in this recipe. Sometimes I add more than the 2 tablespoons stated here and this is the only time I really use cumin. There are so many versions of chili out there, I hope you enjoy mine.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Corn Fritters ( Sorullitos)
Mambo Pork Rolls with Sweet Potatoes
Red Lentil And Vegetable SoupSee More