- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups onions (coarsely chopped)
- 3-5 tablespoons garlic (I use 5)
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 cup jalapenos (chopped)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chili powder (can use mild, med.= or hot)
- 1/4 cup chili powder , this is optional and added during simmering (can use mild, med. or hot) (optional)
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 12 ounces beer
- 1/2 cup water
- to taste onions
- to taste sharp cheddar cheese
- to taste sour cream
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan.
- Add onions, green pepper, jalapeños and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef to the pot and cook until meat is evenly browned.
- Add the cumin, oregano, 1/4 cup chili powder, 2 tablespoons chili powder, ground cayenne, salt and mix well.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, beer and water.
- Bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer covered.
- After 1 hour of simmering taste and add more chili powder if you want.
- Simmer for 1 hour more.
- Serve topped with chopped onions, cheddar cheese and sour cream if you like.
- Serve with corn bread.
NotesThis is my version of chili. Scott was my husband from OH and after being together so many years he only wanted this to be hot! I hope you like it. This can be made as mild or hot as you like depending on the chili powder you use. I use a lot of cumin in this recipe. Sometimes I add more than the 2 tablespoons stated here and this is the only time I really use cumin. There are so many versions of chili out there, I hope you enjoy mine.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Vegan Glass Jar GoodiesSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More