50g butter (for greasing)
150ml full fat milk
500g granulated sugar
397g condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Liberally grease a 25mm deep baking tray. Set aside.
2. Add the milk and granulated sugar to a large cooking pan, and heat on a high heat until sugar dissolves.
3. Pour the condensed milk into the mixture, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. When the mixture has thickened it will turn a darkened yellow to light brown colour, and should start to bubble and look like a pitted moon base. Add the 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
5. Take it off the heat, and stir constantly at a fast pace until it thickens and starts to turn brown, 10 to 15 minutes. It should start coming away from the bottom of the pan and stick to the wooden spoon.
6. Pour into the greased tray - Place this to the side to cool for 15 minutes.
7.After 15 minutes it should be cool enough to cut into bite size pieces. Do this with a sharp knife then leave to cool for a further 5 to 10 minutes.
8. It should be cool enough to then remove from the tray with your butter knife and place onto a plate of your choice - ready to eat!
Pairs Well With
A slightly sweet Scottish delicacy - not for the diabetic among you!
Submitted by: "Angela Reilly"