- Cooking Time: 20 min
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 25 min
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon
- white sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup butter 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4
- teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/3 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and cream of tartar.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives. Stir in cream and egg.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 minutes.
- Press into a half-inch thick sheet.
- Cut into squares.
- Place on baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons sugar over sliced berries.
- Let shortcakes cool before splitting and filling with sugared berries.
Notes"Shortcake made from scratch with butter and cream is topped with sugared strawberries."