- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 lb orange roughy
- 3-3/4 cups water, divided
- 6 oz medium size raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups okra (this can be found in frozen vegetable section)
- ½ cup of celery
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 spicy cajun sausages, sliced
- small handful of green onions, chopped(as garnish on top of the gumbo)
- 1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice(cooked according to instruction)
- Cut fish into 1-inch pieces.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add fish and shrimp; cook until fish flakes easily when tested with fork and shrimp are opaque(about 3 minutes). Drain; set aside.
- Combine onion, bell pepper, additional 1/2 cup water, sausage, celery, garlic and bouillon granules in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add in tomatoes, okra, thyme, savory, brown rice, red pepper and black pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Let it cook for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Dissolve corn starch with the remaining ¼ cup of water, stir mixture into gumbo. Cover and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add in fish, shrimp and sausage mixture. Simmer for additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle green onions on top before serving.
NotesGumbo was brought to America by the French settlers that came to Louisiana. Originally it was a highly seasoned fish stew, but gradually local ingredients are substituted. I still prefer my gumbo with fish as it originally intended. I know this recipe calls for lots of ingredients, but trust me, it is worth the preparation! I like my gumbo really spicy with lots of rice. If you prefer it not to be so spicy, just cut the ground red pepper ingredient in half.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More