- 1/2 lb orange roughy
- 3-3/4 cups water, divided
- 6 oz medium size raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups okra (this can be found in frozen vegetable section)
- ½ cup of celery
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 spicy cajun sausages, sliced
- small handful of green onions, chopped(as garnish on top of the gumbo)
- 1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice(cooked according to instruction)
Cut fish into 1-inch pieces.
Bring 3 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Add fish and shrimp; cook until fish flakes easily when tested with fork and shrimp are opaque(about 3 minutes). Drain; set aside.
Combine onion, bell pepper, additional 1/2 cup water, sausage, celery, garlic and bouillon granules in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Add in tomatoes, okra, thyme, savory, brown rice, red pepper and black pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Let it cook for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Dissolve corn starch with the remaining ¼ cup of water, stir mixture into gumbo. Cover and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
Add in fish, shrimp and sausage mixture. Simmer for additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle green onions on top before serving.