- Cooking Time: 40 min.
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tablespoons good olive oil, plus extra for searing
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, seeded and small diced
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teapoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper to taste (1 pepper) *I leave this out.
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tuna steaks
- Saute the olive oil, and ginger in a large saute pan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mangos, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the orange juice, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, and jalapeno; cook for 10 more minutes, until orange juice is reduced, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and add the mint. Serve warm at room temperature, or chilled.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat for 5 minutes until very hot. Season the tuna liberally with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, add a drizzle fo olive oil and then the tuna steaks. Sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until the outside is browned, but the inside is very rare.
- Serve the tuna on top of the mago salsa and enjoy!
- **for those that lives in So.CA. I go to Gelson's to buy the fresh tuna. You may also try Whole Foods Market.
NotesHere is another Barefoot Contessa recipe that is sure to please your loved ones.