- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups Water -- Cold
- 2 Scallions -- trimmed and cut in half
- 1 slice Ginger -- 1/4" thick
- 3/4 pound Boneless Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sherry -- or Shao-Hsing Wine
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar -- or substitute
- 2 tablespoons Chicken Broth
- 1 pinch White Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Scallions -- thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sesame Seeds -- Black
- 2 cups Iceberg Lettuce -- shredded
- In a large pot, add the cold water, scallions, and ginger, and bring to a boil, and boil for
- 2 minutes. Add the chicken, bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat, cover, and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove the chicken from pot, place on a chopping board, and hit smartly with the broad side of cleaver blade. This will break the fabric of the meat. Then with your hands pull the meat apart, shredding it.
- Place the shredded chicken in the bowl with the sauce and mix together well. Add the sliced scallions and mix well again. Reserve.
- Dry-roast the sesame seeds (see below).
- When done, allow to cool, then pour into bowl with the chicken and sauce. Mix well together. Prepare a serving dish by making a border of the shredded lettuce. Then pour the chicken into the center of the dish and serve immediately.
- To Dry Roast Sesame Seeds: Heat the wok over high heat for 30 to 45 seconds. Add the seeds and lower the heat to very low. Spread the seeds in a single layer and use a spatula to move them about and turn them over to avoid burning on one side. This process takes about 2 to 3 minutes, or until the seeds turn brown. Turn off the heat, remove the seeds from the wok, and allow them to cool. Seeds can be dry-roasted two to three days in advance of their use.
- After they cool, place them in a sealed jar.
NotesI got this from recipes 4realpeople!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More