- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 (15-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 18 sticks
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom caps (about 10 mushrooms)
- 2 cups (2-inch) sliced green onions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Japanese sweet and sour sauce (such as ABC sauce; optional)
- To prepare tofu, combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, flour, and sesame seeds in a shallow dish.
- Dip tofu, one piece at a time, in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Return tofu to egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining tofu, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of tofu; cook 4 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and tofu. Keep warm.
- To prepare vegetables, pour pineapple juice into pan. Bring to a boil; cook until juice is reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Remove from pan.
- Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots, minced garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green onions, tomatoes, and thyme, and cook 1 minute. Stir in pineapple juice and balsamic vinegar, and cook 30 seconds.
- Arrange about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 3 tofu sticks. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon sweet and sour sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
The Italian ExchangeSee More
Pandas' Favorite Pie by Kaylan & Finn Agarwal
Peggy's Hot Canapes
Panera Broccoli Cheese SoupSee More