Sesame seed flat bread
3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup whole milk
1 table spoon olive oil
1 tea spoon white sugar
1 table spoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
Black and white sesame seeds for sprinkling
1. Make a starter: mix together 1/2 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 cup flour and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. In a big bowl, mix together warm milk with dark brown sugar. Add 1/2 cup warm water, olive oil, starter and remaining flour and salt. Stir around with a wooden spoon until combined. Transfer the dough onto a well floured surface and knead with your hands for 10 minutes until the dough is elastic and no longer sticks to hands. Put away in a deep glass or plastic container greased with oil for about 2 hours or until dough doubles in volume.
3. Put a baking stone on the top rack of your oven and preheat the oven at 500 degree F for about 25-30 minutes.
4. Punch down the dough and divide it into two equal portions. Put each piece on a foil paper sprinkled with cornmeal . Stretch out the dough into a flat bread and pinch the outer edges. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and using a fork poke holes throughout the center of the flatbread.
5. Bake each flatbread for about 10 minutes until it is golden brown and crisp. Take out of the oven, flip it upside down immediately, place on a cooling rack and cover with foil paper on top. Let rest and cool down completely.
Pairs Well With
This recipe is a new way of making a crispy oven baked bread and the method is a little different from other methods in that I used a baking stone and a very hot oven to make this bread. This recipe yields a delicious bread with a golden brown crust.