- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Your favorite double crust for pie
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Lemons (Meyer lemons are good in this too!)
- 2 Cups Sugar - plus a pinch to sprinkle
- Milk to brush the top of the crust
- The Night Before:
- Make pie dough and put in fridge.
- Wash the lemons!
- Grate 2 T lemon peel, then slice 2 1/2 of the lemons as thin as you can. Pick out the seeds. Discard the very ends. Put the lemon slices and zest in a bowl with the sugar. Squeeze the other half of the lemon and add juice to the bowl. Stir, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Pie Day:
- Lightly beat the eggs
- Heat oven to 425 with a cookie sheet on the lower middle rack
- Roll out the bottom crust and put in pie pan
- Take lemon mix out of the fridge and give it a stir. Add the eggs and stir. Pour into crust. Roll out the top crust and put it on top of pie - make sure to add holes to vent the filling. Pinch and crimp edges. Brush top crust with a little milk and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for about 40 minutes more. Keep your eye on it and cover with foil if the crust gets too brown. Remove from oven and let stand to just warm before serving.
- Refrigerate the leftovers.
- I really like this with fresh whipped cream - and it's even better the day after it's baked. It's not too sweet so it's a good choice for people without a huge sweet tooth - tastes kind of like marmalade! And it is very pretty!!
NotesThere are many recipes out there for this type of pie. The Shakers didn't want to waste anything so they used the lemon peel in the pie along with the fruit of the lemon. This is the way I make it.
Photo by Jerry Coyne, used with permission. http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2013
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More