- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin, trimmed of fat and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- Salt and Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice from 1/2 of a lime
- 4 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup slivered red onions
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 bunch watercress, for garnish
- In bowl, combine beef and marinade ingredients; cover and refrigerate for two hours. In second bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients; set aside. In small bowl, combine Salt and Pepper Sauce ingredients; set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil; heat until smoking. Add half the meat in a single layer and cook for about 1 minute, until it forms a brown crust. Using tongs, turn over meat and cook another minute.
- Add half the garlic, and half the red and green onions; cook for 30 seconds. Add half the vinaigrette and shake the skillet to release the beef; add the butter and continue to shake the skillet until butter is melted.
- Spoon beef into a bowl and keep warm. Wash skillet and repeat process to cook remaining ingredients. Spoon entire mixture over watercress and serve with Salt and Pepper Sauce for dipping. Makes 4 servings.
- NOTE: Charles Phan cooks the beef in batches in a single layer. Do not crowd the beef in the skillet; it will steam instead of turning a nice caramelized brown color. You may need to divide the ingredients into as many as four batches, depending on the size of your skillet.
NotesAdapted from Chef Charles Phan of the Slanted Door Restaurant (San Francisco, CA) Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients, it is pretty easy to make at home, just be sure to read the entire recipe first so you organize your time as it is a dish that must be made in steps and can't be done all at once!
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Cook With The Twinz - Juice & Smoothies Volume OneSee More
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage Casserole
Vanilla Crunch Clouds
Fruity With a Touch of ZingSee More