SHEARERS' STEW WITH DUMPLINGS
Shearers' Stew with dumplings
This recipe goes with: Jumbuck Dumplings
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 30 grams butter
- 1 KG lamb or Beef cut into cubes and rolled in seasoned flour.
- 3 Onions quartered
- 3 Parsnips,sliced thickly
- 3 Carrots,sliced thickly
- 2 single sticks celery,chopped
- Meat or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- pepper and a pinch of sugar
Heat oil and butter in a Large heavy frying pan and brown meat, adding a little extra oil if necessary.
Push to one side and saute onions until transparent.
Transfer to a heavy saucepan, adding bits left in bottom of frying pan blended with a little stock.
Add parsnips,carrots and celery and sufficient stock to barely cover, along with parsley,herbs,Worcestershire sauce,pepper and sugar.
Simmer on low heat or until meat is tender. Serve with dumplings.
The main meat used in this dish is lamb, but beef can also be used.