- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 lb. lean ground lamb (or chopped leg/shoulder pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- allspice (I only have it whole, and used maybe 6 of them; otherwise I'd guess about 1/4 tsp. or so)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 batch mashed potatoes (I used about 1.5 lbs potatoes and also stirred in about 1/4 cup grana padano cheese)
- In a large saute pan (or a dutch oven), heat the olive oil. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook them for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30-40 seconds.
- Add the lamb and brown.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cinnamon, parsley, allspice, bay leaf and mushrooms, and cook the paste off for about a minute or two.
- Add the flour and do the same. Stir in the beef broth and wine, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or so to combine the flavors.
- Stir in the peas and then pour the lamb mixture into a baking dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes (run a fork over them for a prettier design).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes in a 375 degree oven or until potatoes brown.
- Alternatively (or in addition to, which is what I did), stick the dish under the broiler for a minute or two to brown the potato crust
Notesalso on my blog: ellysaysopa.vox.com
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Righteous Indignation Raspberry-Nut Bars
Michigan Berry Pie
Warm Lentil & Pasta SoupSee More