- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 lb. lean ground lamb (or chopped leg/shoulder pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- allspice (I only have it whole, and used maybe 6 of them; otherwise I'd guess about 1/4 tsp. or so)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup peas
- 1 batch mashed potatoes (I used about 1.5 lbs potatoes and also stirred in about 1/4 cup grana padano cheese)
- In a large saute pan (or a dutch oven), heat the olive oil. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook them for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30-40 seconds.
- Add the lamb and brown.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cinnamon, parsley, allspice, bay leaf and mushrooms, and cook the paste off for about a minute or two.
- Add the flour and do the same. Stir in the beef broth and wine, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or so to combine the flavors.
- Stir in the peas and then pour the lamb mixture into a baking dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes (run a fork over them for a prettier design).
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes in a 375 degree oven or until potatoes brown.
- Alternatively (or in addition to, which is what I did), stick the dish under the broiler for a minute or two to brown the potato crust
Notesalso on my blog: ellysaysopa.vox.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More