- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- For the Topping:
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tbsp light butter
- In a large pot, heat canola oil on medium-low heat. Saute onions and carrots until softened. Turn up heat to medium-high and add beef; cook until no longer pink. Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, herbs and broth. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add peas, then simmer 5 minutes more.
- Tip: If sauce seems too watery for your liking, combine 1 tsp of cornstarch into 1/8 cup of water and stir into beef mixture.
- While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain water. Add milk and light butter. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Season if you like.
- Pour sauce into an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish and allow to cool slightly. Top with potato. Optional: sprinkle with 1/3 cup reduced-fat cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serves 6.
- Per Serving (without cheese): Calories 322, Calories from Fat 67, Total Fat 7.6g (Sat 2.8g), Cholesterol 49mg, Sodium 260mg, Carbohydrate 41.2g, Fiber 5.7g, Protein 22
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Forever FOMO Cures: Photo & Cookbook from your Israeli Family
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!See More
Gluten Free Vietnamese Perogies
Campbell's Kitchen Slow Cooker Bacon Potato ChowderSee More