- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (can substitute with softened cream cheese)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or potato flakes for thicker sauce)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves (fresh is best)
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.
Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef.
Season meat with salt and pepper.
Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes.
Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat.
Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
In another small skillet over medium heat, cook butter and flour together 2 minutes.
Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce.
Thicken gravy 1 minute.
Add gravy to meat and vegetables.
Stir in peas.
Preheat broiler to high.
Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture.
Spoon potatoes over meat evenly.
Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned (about 2-5 minutes).
Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.