- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 pounds potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (can substitute with softened cream cheese)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (or potato flakes for thicker sauce)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves (fresh is best)
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, egg yolk and cream. Add the cream mixture into potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
- While potatoes boil, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef.
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat.
- Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In another small skillet over medium heat, cook butter and flour together 2 minutes.
- Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Thicken gravy 1 minute.
- Add gravy to meat and vegetables.
- Stir in peas.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture.
- Spoon potatoes over meat evenly.
- Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned (about 2-5 minutes).
- Top casserole dish with chopped parsley and serve.
NotesThis came from a Rachael Ray recipe which I modified and made my own. Traditional "Shepherd's Pie" or "English Shepherd's Pie" is made with lamb. You can use this recipe with ground beef and beef broth, or substitute the beef items with turkey and vegetable broth.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More