- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- up to 1lb ground or shredded meat
- med onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4c Worchestershire
- 1/4c Heinz 57
- 1/4c chili OR cocktail sauce (you pick)
- 1/4tsp each:
- black pepper, white pepper, thyme, sage, coriander, basil, oregano
- salt to taste
- smashed Yukon Gold or redskin potatoes, salted, buttered and mixed w/1/4c or so of sour cream and dash of cream to thin, equal to about 2c
- 1/2bag frozen green peas
- top & bottom pie pastry
- Oven at 325deg.
- Saute the onions & garlic in oil to carmelize; add MEAT, condiment sauces and spices, and braise per below on stove or in crockpot:
- MEAT filling: if using leftovers, well, it's already cooked so you just want to braise it for a 1/2hr or so. If it's not pre-cooked, then either fry up if ground meat along w/garlic & onion and braise, or let chopped meat (such as stew meat or pork roast) cook in the crockpot for 6-8hrs in the vegetables & braise then shred.
- line a deep-dish pie plate w/bottom pie crust.
- Fill first w/the potatoes (yes, I know I do it backwards).
- Next, a layer of frozen peas.
- Then, cover with the braised meat.
- This way, that nice, hearty gravy you've been braising the meat in oozes down thru the peas and potatoes.
- Finally, cover with the top crust, flute the edges and cut vents in top.
- I highly recommend cuffing the edge of the pie with foil to prevent burning, and removing after 15-20min for final browing. Bake 30-40min til browned and bubbling out the vents and onto the bottom of your oven, setting off smoke alarm.
NotesIt's meat, it's pie... It's Shepherd's pie, it's Pot pie. It's really just awesome comfy food and a GREAT way to rehash holiday leftovers...
NOTE: I have used Beef, Venison and leftover Turkey as the meat.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More