- Cooking Time: 8-10 minutes
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or lemon extract
- 4 tablespoons water or milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- With electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar. Add remaining ingredients in order, mixing well after each addition.
- This makes a very stiff dough that is good for rolling and cutting with cookie cutters. It can also be dropped by spoonfuls onto greased baking sheets, and flattened with a glass that the bottom has been coated with shortening and then dipped in sugar.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to lightly brown.
NotesLynn: This recipe originally came from Shirley Simpkins, one of mom's friends, who worked with her in Primary for many years. Shirley's son is the little boy who coming home from Primary one hot summer day called from the back of the station wagon, "Sister Naylor, I'm swatting!". We still use that phrase when it gets hot and sultry.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Aunt Kiki’s Enchilada Casserole
Chicken Cauliflower Power Soup
Coconut MacaroonsSee More