- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups crabmeat
- 2 pounds shrimp, in shells
- 3 quarts water
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion, cut in wedges
- salt and black pepper
- 2 pounds okra, sliced
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease, divided
- 4 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons brown roux
- reserved shrimp stock
- salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, to taste
- hot cooked rice
- In a large Dutch oven boil the water with bay leaves, lemon
- juice, onion wedges, salt, pepper, and parsley. Wash shrimp and
- add to pot; boil for 2 minutes. Peel shrimp and return shells to
- the stock for later use. Put shrimp and crab meat in
- refrigerator until ready to add to the gumbo.
- Saute okra in 2 tablespoons bacon grease in large heavy skillet.
- The okra will turn darker as it cooks. When okra is soft,
- transfer to a stew pot and add tomatoes. Stir and mix together
- well. Clean skillet and heat remaining 2 tablespoons bacon
- grease. SautÃ© the chopped onion, green pepper, and red pepper.
- When soft, add to the stew pot.
- In a saucepan, warm the roux; strain shrimp stock and stir into
- the roux. When well-blended, add to the large stew pot with the
- other ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours,
- adding more strained stock if needed. Taste and add salt,
- pepper, thyme, and parsley to taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours
- longer; add the shrimp and crab meat and cook for 15 more
- Serve with fresh boiled rice in soup bowls.
- Serves 6 to 8.
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Watt's Cooking in PA?See More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More