- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWhen I first got married, I was a lousy cook. I recall the first time I cooked this dish, the cashews turned out soggy and the shrimp was over cooked. After consulting my mother, I realized that shrimp cooks very quickly and to keep the cashews crunchy, put them in just before serving! Now my Cashew shrimp turns out perfect every time! Also soaking the shrimp in the egg-white mixture is my mother's secret(shhh, don't tell her I gave her secret away) to keep the shrimp tender and so tasty.
- Shrimp marinade:
- 1/2 egg white
- 1 T Cornstarch
- 1/2 t Salt
- Other Ingredients:
- 2/3 lb. small raw peeled shrimp(deveined)
- 1/2 C cooked cashew nuts
- 5 slices of ginger
- 4 T Oil
- 1 T cooking wine
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t sesame oil
- Mix 1 T cornstarch and 1/2 t salt into the egg white, Blend cornstarch until it's dissolved. Beat the egg white mixture until fluffy(about the same as scramble eggs).
- Clean shrimp and pat dry, then soak shrimp in the egg white mixture for an hour.
- Heat 2T of oil untill it smokes(has to be very high temperature-around 320C), pour in shrimp and fry for 30 seconds. Remove shrimp and drain oil from pan.
- With another 2T of oil, fry the green onion and ginger slices. Add in shrimp and the rest of the seasoning sauce quickly. Stir constantly over high heat until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Turn off fire and add the cashew nuts before serving.