- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMMMMM...with Valentines Day just around the corner, this is a recipe you can prepare days before, freeze, and then use all that extra time to get gorgeous for your Honey!!
Recipe Credit: Paula Deen
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound claw crabmeat, picked through for shells
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat. When the butter is completely melted, stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Cook for about 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk. Using a whisk, stir briskly until you have a smooth sauce, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and cayenne and whisk again. Switch to the wooden spoon and keep stirring the white sauce until it is completely smooth and thickened, about the consistency of mayonnaise. Remove from the heat.
- Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and add the shrimp. When the water returns to a boil, cook the shrimp for 1 minute. Drain immediately. Roughly chop the shrimp and put in a large mixing bowl. Add the crabmeat and, with your hands, toss gently to mix.
- Pour the sauce over the seafood. With a large spoon, gently combine, taking care not to break apart the crabmeat.
- Spray an 8-inch square disposable aluminum foil pan with vegetable oil cooking spray (there will be a little left over for a tasty lunch for the cook) or use an 11 by 7-inch casserole dish. Pour the mixture into the pan. Place the grated cheese on top, completely covering the seafood mixture. Wrap the uncooked casserole securely with plastic wrap, the with aluminum foil. Place the pan into a plastic freezer bag and seal. Freeze. Prepare a label with these instructions: Completely thaw in refrigerator. When ready to bake, remove the foil and plastic wrap. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbly. If serving immediately, bake in a 350 degree F oven uncovered, for about 25 minutes, until bubbly.
- Recipe Credit: Paula Deen