- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. claw crabmeat (I've also done it with imitation crab)
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute over the low heat, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk. Using a whisk, stir briskly until you have a smooth sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and cayenne; whisk again. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon until it is completely smooth and thickened, about the consistency of mayonnaise (although mine always seems thicker). Remove from the heat.
- Bring 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and add the shrimp. When the water returns to a boil, cook shrimp for 1 minute. Drain immediately.
- Roughly chop shrimp and put in a large bowl. Add crab meat and toss gently to mix. Pour sauce over seafood and gently combine, taking care not to break apart the crab meat.
- Spray an 8-inch oven-proof dish with cooking spray and pour mixture into the pan.
- Sprinkle top with grated cheese, completely covering the seafood mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
NotesI ask myself why I can't lose weight. Well, I love Paula Deen's recipes, that's why! Oh, of course, I love my own cooking, too. This recipe, thanks to Paula, has made it as one of my favorite dishes. It's delicious, but not for the faint of heart...butter, milk and cheese :)....mmmmmmmm, good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More