SHRIMP AND CRAB AU GRATIN
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesean cheese
1. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat.
When the butter is completely melted, stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
Cook for about 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly.
Slowly add the milk.
Using a whisk, stir briskly until you have a smooth sauce, about 2 minutes.
Add the wine, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and cayenne and whisk again.
Switch to the wooden spoon and keep stirring the sauce until it is completely smooth and thickkened.
Remove from heat.
2. Bring 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and add the shrimp.
When the water returns to a boil, cook the shrimp for 1 minute.
Roughly chop the shrimp and put in a large mixing bowl.
Add the crabmeat and, with your hands, toss gently to mix.
3. Pour the sauce over the seafood.
With a large spoon, gently combine, taking care not to break apart the crabmeat.
4. Spray a 11-by-7 caserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
Pour the mixture into the pan.
Place the cheese and breadcrumb mixture on top, completely covering the seafood mixture.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.