SHRIMP AND CRAB AU GRATIN
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound crabmeat
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesean cheese
- 1. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat.
- When the butter is completely melted, stir in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for about 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the milk.
- Using a whisk, stir briskly until you have a smooth sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and cayenne and whisk again.
- Switch to the wooden spoon and keep stirring the sauce until it is completely smooth and thickkened.
- Remove from heat.
- 2. Bring 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan and add the shrimp.
- When the water returns to a boil, cook the shrimp for 1 minute.
- Drain immediately.
- Roughly chop the shrimp and put in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the crabmeat and, with your hands, toss gently to mix.
- 3. Pour the sauce over the seafood.
- With a large spoon, gently combine, taking care not to break apart the crabmeat.
- 4. Spray a 11-by-7 caserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Place the cheese and breadcrumb mixture on top, completely covering the seafood mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
NotesThis is a Paula Deen recipe but I have modified it a bit. I also use immitation crabmeat instead of the real thing-saves money and I like the texture better. My husband LOVES this!!