- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI'm calling this "risotto", since it isn't really! Instead of Italian short grain rice, I used whole grain rice, which cuts the "standing over the stove" time by more than half, and is better for you! Your finished dish will still have the rich, creamy texture and taste of the real thing.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbls. butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen, cooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley and shaved parmesan for garnish
- Add rice, broth, and butter into a large saucepan over high heat and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove lid, add salt, pepper, and garlic and stir once, turning heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes, until all broth is absorbed and rice is fully cooked.
- *NOTE!* You may be tempted to check the rice, but don't pick up that lid!
- Take this time to defrost shrimp and remove tails, and cook the peas according to package instructions.
- Go read a book, count some spare change, anything but checking the rice!
- Once the rice is cooked, fold in grated parmesan, peas and shrimp, and cover.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes to warm shrimp through. Remove from heat and serve with chopped parsley and shaved parmesan for garnish.