- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 servings cooked grits
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced tasso ham*
- 2 tablespoons diced leeks
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced green peppers
- 20 medium to large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, with tails on
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Green onion tops, chopped
- *Cook's Note:
- Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as tasso is very flavorful.
- Cook grits according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with a little white wine.
- Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide grits among 2 serving plates.
- Line plate edges with shrimp (10 shrimp per serving).
- Pour sauce over grits.
- Garnish with green onion tops.
- (by Paula Deen)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
The Naked Macaron
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More