- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups seafood broth (see note below)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, fresh if available
- Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds peeled shrimp (reserve peels for broth)
- Fry the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until slightly crisp; remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. If necessary, add enough olive oil to the bacon grease to make about 2 tablespoons. Add the onions and sauté over medium-high heat about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the rice, 2-1/4 cups of the broth, tomatoes with juices, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, nutmeg, thyme, parsley and pepper; stir. Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir in the bacon, shrimp and remaining 3/4 cup broth. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir gently and taste for seasoning.
- Note: I cook the shrimp peels in about 2 cups of water for 20 minutes to make a broth. To that I add 1 cup of bottled clam juice and enough water to make the 3 cups needed for the recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Koken met Oma
Get Fit With Good Food!
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More