- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups seafood broth (see note below)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, chopped with juices
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley, fresh if available
- Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds peeled shrimp (reserve peels for broth)
- Fry the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until slightly crisp; remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. If necessary, add enough olive oil to the bacon grease to make about 2 tablespoons. Add the onions and sauté over medium-high heat about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the rice, 2-1/4 cups of the broth, tomatoes with juices, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, nutmeg, thyme, parsley and pepper; stir. Cover and cook for 20 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir in the bacon, shrimp and remaining 3/4 cup broth. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir gently and taste for seasoning.
- Note: I cook the shrimp peels in about 2 cups of water for 20 minutes to make a broth. To that I add 1 cup of bottled clam juice and enough water to make the 3 cups needed for the recipe.