- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1 qt vegetable oil
- 1 cup tempura batter mix
- 3/4 cup water, ice cold
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp yellow onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced
- In a medium pot, heat the oil on medium. (The oil is ready when you place a chopstick in the bottom of the pot and when tilting the chopstick, bubbles float to the surface.)
- Whisk together the tempura batter mix and water in a bowl. Coat 4-6 shrimps in the batter at a time and fry until golden brown in the oil. Do not overcrowd the pot, and when done, place the shrimp on a plate that is lined with paper towels.
- Using a small sauce pot, combine the onion, garlic, water, honey and jalapeno and heat on medium-high until it comes to a boil and continue to boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the tempura shrimp with a drizzle of the sauce.
NotesThis recipe truly brings back memories of my mom's cooking. There's nothing like the crunch of tempura and a sweet and spicy sauce to give it a kick.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Brownies: Baking Outside the BoxSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More