- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In medium saucepan bring 2 cups of the milk to a simmer. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining cup of milk with the sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch. Scrape the cocoa mixture into the hot milk. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and bubbles a little at the edges. Stir and cook for a minute longer.
- Strain through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a clean bowl and cool. Cover the surface of the mixture with plastic wrap and chill overnight. (You may also set the bowl over an ice bath and stir the hot gelato mixture frequently until cool).
- TO MAKE GELATO
- Freeze according to the instructions with your ice cream maker. The mixture is thick to begin with and may take less time than average in the ice cream maker. Makes one scant quart ice cream.
- TO MAKE FUDGE POPS
- Divide the chilled gelato base between the ice pop molds and place in the freezer overnight to set. These will have a slightly icy texture. (If you have an ice cream maker and would like a finer-textured fudge pop, freeze the gelato base according to the instructions with your ice cream maker and divide the mixture evenly between ice pop molds. Place in the freezer overnight to set.)
- TO MAKE GRANITA
- Pour the chilled gelato base into a large, shallow baking dish (the shallower the dish, the faster the mixture will freeze) and place in the freezer. In about an hour, the liquid will begin to freeze along the sides of the pan. Using a fork, scrape the ice towards the center of the pan. Repeat this process every 20 minutes or so until all of the mixture is frozen and flaked.
NotesThis recipe comes from our friend and chocolate guru, Alice Medrich which appeared in her award-winning book Bittersweet (Artisan, 2003). If you don't have an ice cream maker, we provide an alternate method to make it as a granita. And if you have popsicle molds, this recipe makes a great fudgsicle, delicious for audiences of all ages. Makes one scant quart gelato or 6-12 fudge pops.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking Texas 2013
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More