- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, or 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups shorting
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, 2 round pans, 9 X 1 1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 X 1 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly flour.*
- Beat all ingredients except egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pans(s).
- Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack;
- Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost as desired.
NotesThis cake recipe comes from 'Betty Crocker's Cookbook'. I made the cupcake version.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
The Social CookbookSee More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More