- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, or 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups shorting
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, 2 round pans, 9 X 1 1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 X 1 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly flour.*
- Beat all ingredients except egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pans(s).
- Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack;
- Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost as desired.
NotesThis cake recipe comes from 'Betty Crocker's Cookbook'. I made the cupcake version.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More