- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, or 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups shorting
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- 5 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, 2 round pans, 9 X 1 1/2 inches, or 3 round pans, 8 X 1 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly flour.*
- Beat all ingredients except egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pans(s).
- Bake rectangle 40 to 45 minutes, 9-inch rounds 30 to 35 minutes, 8-inch rounds 23 to 28 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack;
- Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Frost as desired.
NotesThis cake recipe comes from 'Betty Crocker's Cookbook'. I made the cupcake version.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More