- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 1-4
- Preparation Time: 2 hrs 40 min
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of coarse salt
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 6 1/2 cups flour + additional for dusting
- Mix yeast & water in large bowl.
- Add salt and flour until flour is absorbed.
- Dough will be very soft.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until well doubled (2-5 hours)
- Punch down & cut off a piece the size of a grapefruit (You can make 1-4 loaves now, or save covered in refrigerator up to 2 weeks & bake later)
- When ready to bake, turn dough on a floured surface until rounded and smooth.
- Heat oven to 450°. Place large pan on floor of oven with 1-2 cups of water in it.
- Place dough on lightly greased sheet or loaf pan. Let rise 40 minutes if fresh, 1 hour if it has been refrigerated.
- Make 2-3 slashes or a cross on top of loaf with serrated knife.
- Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Horseradish Beef Roll-Ups
New England Pot RoastSee More