- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 1-4
- Preparation Time: 2 hrs 40 min
- 2 pkg yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of coarse salt
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 6 1/2 cups flour + additional for dusting
- Mix yeast & water in large bowl.
- Add salt and flour until flour is absorbed.
- Dough will be very soft.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until well doubled (2-5 hours)
- Punch down & cut off a piece the size of a grapefruit (You can make 1-4 loaves now, or save covered in refrigerator up to 2 weeks & bake later)
- When ready to bake, turn dough on a floured surface until rounded and smooth.
- Heat oven to 450°. Place large pan on floor of oven with 1-2 cups of water in it.
- Place dough on lightly greased sheet or loaf pan. Let rise 40 minutes if fresh, 1 hour if it has been refrigerated.
- Make 2-3 slashes or a cross on top of loaf with serrated knife.
- Bake until well browned, about 30 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More