Simple Pasta Bolognese
• 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
• 1 yellow onion, finely diced
• 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
• 1 celery stalk, finely diced
• 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Prepared Minced Garlic
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
• 1 can (796 mL) crushed tomatoes
• 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Basil Leaves
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) whole milk
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce
• 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Parsley Flakes
• Club House Sea Salt Grinder and Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder, to taste
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink, crumbling with a spoon. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
3. Return beef to pan. Add tomato paste and stir well. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, milk and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer sauce for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add fish sauce, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Serve over cooked pasta with freshly grated parmesan.
Pairs Well With
Create this new take on an old classic, and explore why many chefs are turning to fish sauce as their secret ingredient. While fish sauce may be a surprising choice in an Italian-inspired entrée, just a couple of tablespoons can add smooth and savoury taste to complete your pasta. A gluten and lactose free ingredient, fish sauce can also substitute for pantry staples like soy sauce and salt.