- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. macaroni
- 2 lb. block of Velveeta
- 1 stick butter
- 3 C. milk (I don't measure; you may want to start with less and add as needed for a creamy sauce. The mac and cheese will "set up" somewhat. If you think it is too thin it is probably just right.)
- seasoning to taste (salt and pepper at a minimum.)
- 4 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil water in a large pot filled 2/3 full. After water begins to boil, pour macaroni in the pot. Stir once and keep an eye on the pot. Stir only a few times to prevent sticking. Continue cooking until macaroni is not quite al dente and turn off the heat. Don't drain until the sauce is ready.
- While the macaroni is cooking, cube the block of Velveeta in a LARGE microwavable bowl. Add one stick butter. Add the milk. Heat the cheese/milk combo in three minute intervals, stirring every three minutes. Continue to heat until you have a smooth cheesy sauce (maybe 8 minutes depending on microwave?)
- Remove from microwave and add grated cheddar and seasonings. Stir. Add macaroni and blend. There is a powdered seasoning called Everglades Seasoning that I try to keep on hands. It adds a nice touch to the macaroni.
- This recipe makes a big pot of macaroni and cheese so remember to taste for sufficient seasoning. A touch of garlic salt or seasoned salt is also good.
- I don't make this all the time due to the richness but it is required when the guys get together for cards or Superbowl Sunday. Enjoy.
NotesI'm asked time and again to bring my mac and cheese to parties and potlucks. It is assumed I will provide my mac and cheese. I've explained to people who don't know me well that I really can prepare other dishes. This mac and cheese is not baked; I prepare a sauce as I cook the macaroni and blend the two. It can be transported and served from a crockpot. I know this is too rich to be politically correct, but it is too good to mess with.