- 1 large round loaf French bread
- 1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 3 oz thinly sliced salami
- 1/4 lb cheese slices, any kind
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced turkey breast
- 2.5 oz can sliced ripe black olives, drained
- 1 purple onion, thinly sliced
Cut loaf of bread in half horizontally and hollow out the soft bread from both halves, leaving a shell about 3/4-inch thick.
Reserve soft bread for another use.
In small bowl, combine artichoke liquid with mayonnaise and spread onto bread shells.
In bottom half, layer ingredients at least three times until mounded high, beginning and ending with tomatoes.
Place top half of bread over mound of ingredients. Wrap entire loaf with plastic wrap.
This must be assembled at least 2 hours before serving, but can be assembled up to 8 hours before serving.
Before serving, place sandwich (wrapped in plastic) on a hard surface and SIT ON IT...I'm not joking!
This smashes the ingredients together and makes it easy to serve, it's also what makes this sandwich so damn good - don't skip this, I'm warning you!
Slice the loaf into wedges to serve.