SITI'S BABA GANOUSH
Siti's Baba Ganoush
The small differences in this recipe make it what it is - lime juice, not lemon. Use white pepper, not black. Don't go ..Read More
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 medium-sized eggplants
- 1/2 cup tahini (roasted sesame paste)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 5 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced into thick slices
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- a half bunch of cilantro leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
2. Prick each eggplant a few times with a fork. Place the eggplants on a baking sheet. Add peeled whole garlic cloves and red onion. Roast in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, until they’re completely soft.
4. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. Split the eggplant and scrape out the pulp, squeezing the pulp as you go along to remove excess water. Puree eggplant in food processor with garlic, onions, and rest of ingredients until smooth. If you are using a blender, make sure to chop all ingredients well before placing in blender bowl.
6. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Chill before serving.
The small differences in this recipe make it what it is - lime juice, not lemon. Use white pepper, not black. Don't go overboard on the cumin, include a red onion for added depth and make sure to squeeze the eggplant once it's cooked to remove the excess moisture.
Serve with toasted pita bread, crackers, or toasted sliced french bread.