- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1(15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups lowfat shredded Cheddar
- 2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, finely chopped, (with seeds for more heat)
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and some stems, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- Baked tortilla chips, for dipping
- On a cutting board, smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Put the garlic, beans, chili powder, water, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spread in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole or gratin dish, or in individual sized dishes, as desired.
- Scatter the cheese over the beans. Halve and seed the avocados, then mash with the jalapeno and another teaspoon of salt in a small bowl.
- Spread a layer of the avocado over the cheese, and then scatter the lettuce on top.
- Mix the yogurt with the cilantro and then spread over the lettuce.
- Add a layer of tomatoes and finally scatter the scallions on top.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Garnish with a few cilantro sprigs and serve with baked chips.