- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 C uncooked long-grain rice
- 4-1/4 C water
- Oil for frying
- Directions: Preparation (the day before)
- The day before serving, divide rice and water between 2 large heavy-bottomed frying pans.
- Cook each, covered, for about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Remove covers and continue to cook rice over very low heat until it sticks to the bottom of the pans and forms crust.
- Scoop out loose center rice and use for another purpose.
- Place pans over very low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Leave uncovered pans out overnight for rice to dry.
- Directions: Cooking (the day of)
- Heat oil to 350 degrees on deep-fat thermometer.
- Scrape and peel rice crusts out of fry pans in sections.
- Drop these into fat and fry until golden brown, almost 1 minute.
- Remove from fat and drain well on paper towels.
- Directions: Serving
- Heat soup in saucepan almost to boiling.
- Lay chunks of fried rice crust in each soup bowl. Bottom should be covered.
- Ladle soup into rice crust at the table.
NotesWhen the liquid is poured onto the rice, the absorption makes an interesting sound. Combine the two at the table, right before serving, to amuse your guests.