SKEETER & RANDY'S HOMEMADE YOGURT
Skeeter & Randy's Homemade Yogurt
- Cooking Time: 8 or 9 hours
- Servings: 1 Quart
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 quart if milk, we use 1%, but you can use whole, skim or any % that you want. You can even use raw milk.
- 1/2 cup dry nonfat milk, add a little more if you like your yogurt thicker.
- 1/4 cup commercial yogurt, or yogurt saved from your last batch.
Combine the powder milk with about a cup of milk, mix well, to make sure the dry milk is dissolved,
then add to the rest of the milk in a microwaveable bowl, heat to 180 degrees, (my microwave takes 9 1/2 minutes) stopping the microwave, strirring and testing the temp a couple times during the 9 1/2 minutes.
Cool mixture either by putting the bowl in the sink and filling the sink with cold water, or let the temperature drop naturally. In the sink it takes about 10 minutes. Cool to 113 degrees.
While milk is cooling, preheat the dehydrator to 113 to 115 degrees.
Add cooled milk to yogurt in a glass 2 quart bowl. I use a pyrex 2 quart bowl with a lid.
Place in dehtydrator and cover either with cheese cloth or the lid.
Do not disturb for 8 hours. If you want a sharper taste to your yogurt, leave it for longer. Experiment to find what works best for you.
The yogurt can be used in lots of recipes, drain the whey off and use it for cream cheese, sour cream, salad dressing and be sure to save the whey for breadmaking, pouring over pets food or like me, we feed it to the chickens.