- Cooking Time: 25 - 30
- Servings: 4 - 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 10 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree F.
- Brown chopped bacon in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Add the garlic and saute until softened.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until firm and golden brown on top.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot with butter on the side.
NotesRecipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse