- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- ½ pound ground skinless turkey breast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce and the chiles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about ½ cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling. Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet. Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray. Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.
- Clever Cook's Tip: You can top these chimichangas with your favorite salsa and 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream.
Notes(from Weight Watcher's) Traditionally, chimichangas are meaty deep-fried burritos. Our trimmer version uses ground turkey in the filling and the chimichangas are baked, instead of deep-fried. The result is a crispy burrito with a moist, flavorful filling.
Per Serving (1 chimichanga)
1g Sat. Fat
(makes 4 servings)
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Deep-fried Sesame Balls
Bacon WafflesSee More