- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves (about 3 large bunches)
- 1 cup defatted chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 ounces nonfat Parmesan or Romano cheese (to be added at serving time)
- Wash and dry the basil leaves. Combine half of the basil, 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, 1
- 1/2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper and
- 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a food processor.
- With the machine running, drop 3 garlic cloves through the feed tube and process until
- pureed. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl. Repeat with the remaining basil, broth,
- oil, lemon juice, pepper, salt and garlic cloves. Combine this with the first batch of pesto
- and mix well.
- Divide the pesto among 4 small freezer containers or zip closure freezer bags (each
- portion will be roughly a heaping half-cup, which will make 4 servings). Label and freeze
- for up to 2 months.
- To serve, thaw the pesto completely, then add 1 ounce of the grated cheese to each portion
- and mix well. If the pesto seems very thick, add a little pasta cooking water when you
- drain the pasta.
- Makes 16 servings (2 1/3 tablespoons each).
- Per serving: 30 calories, 1 g fat, 2 mg cholesterol
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More