- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
BackstoryI found this recipe online a while ago, and i absolutely love it! All of my family loves them and you will too! They are low-fat cupcakes made with white whole wheat flour and fresh strawberries.
The frosting is amazing all on it's own, i got it from Bethenny Frankel's website Bethenny.com. She is an amazing chef who focuses on healthy cooking and baking.
- 2-1/2 C white whole-wheat flour
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1/2 TSP kosher salt
- 1/2 C margarine
- 1-1/2 C organic sugar
- 1/2 C unsweetned applesauce
- 1/3 C soymilk
- 1 TSP vinegar
- 1/4 C oil
- 1 TSP vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 or 2 C strawberries, chopped
- Cream Cheese frosting:
- 1/4 C margarine
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softned
- 1/4 TSP almond extract
- 1/2 TSP vanilla extract
- 1 C confectioners' sugar
- 1. Finally, mix the frosting ingredients in a large bowl and beat with an
- electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes if the
- frosting isn’t firm enough, and be sure the cupcakes are fully cooled
- before icing them.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line cupcake pans. Sift flour, baking
- soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Cream margarine and sugar together
- until fluffy. Add applesauce.
- 2. For buttermilk, combine soymilk with vinegar and let stand
- for 10 minutes. Add buttermilk, oil, and vanilla into the margarine sugar
- 3. Add the flour mixture gradually. Mix in the strawberries. Fill the cupcake tins 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool, and
- then top with frosting.