Why I Love This Recipe
Sklandrausis is a dish in Latvian cuisine which has a Livonion orgin. Sklandrausis is typically a sweet pie made with rye dough and filled with potato and carrot paste and seasoned with a caraway.
Ingredients You'll Need
400 grams of rye flour
100 grams butter
1 cup of warm water
1 tsp. of sugar
1/2 tsp. of salt
7 medium carrots
2 tbs. of sour cream
2 tbs. honey
2 medium potatoes
100 ml of milk
25 grams of butter
1. Peel the carrots and cut in quarters. Place in medium saucepan and cover with water and boil until carrots are tender
2. Peel the potatoes and cut in quarters. Place in another saucepan, cover with water and boil until tender.
3. While the vegetables are boiling, prepare the dough, dissolve the salt and sugar in the water. Mix the flour with softened butter and add the water, stir well to form dough. Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until the dough is soft enough to be rolled.
4. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
5. Roll the dough 3-5 mm thick. Use a 8 cm cookie cutter to cut out 15 discs. Fold 1 cm of the edges up to form pastry cases.
6. Place the cases on a baking tray lined with baking paper
7. Prepare the filling for the pastry cases. Drain the carrots and place in a food processor. Add honey, egg, and sour cream to a food processor and process the ingredients for 20 seconds.
8. Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth in a bowl and add milk and butter and stir until well combined.
9. Fill 1 teaspoon of mashed potatoes into the pastry cases and top with a tablespoon of processed carrots. Repeat until all cases have been filled.
10. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 15-20 minute. Pastries should be cooked and the filling should be slightly golden.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: European